A Travellerspoint blog

8.16.10: Koh Tao, Thailand

Flashy Fish & Oscillating Anemones

sunny 92 °F

This morning was day two of our scuba adventure. I started out the day with a nutritious meal of muesli and some warm tea and I was ready to rock ‘n roll.
We grabbed our equipment and hopped in a boat to take us to an area of the coast of Koh Tao called Twins. This was our first dive spot.
I flipped myself overboard and was ready to dive.

This dive was probably the most aesthetic one yet. I ocean floor gleamed with florid coral and oscillating anemones. Flashy fish glistened with the most vibrant colors I’ve ever seen. These fish radiated psychedelic hues that are only seen underwater. With the exception of some species of exotic butterflies, I’ve never seen a more brilliantly colored animal. Their perfect patterns looked like a painted work of art. It was amazing.
I swam around in a euphoric cloud surrounded by a kaleidoscope of ocean life. I was flabbergasted by the beauty. I saw damsel fish, blue ringed angelfish, long fin banner fish, and an unpuffed puffer fish.
I was tempted to scare him so I could watch him inflate but my better judgment told me to leave him alone. It was a good thing too because I later found out that, not only are they poisonous, but they can also die after puffing up.
We surfaced again after a great hour underwater. I tanned on the boat deck as we cruised to our next dive spot, an area called Whit Rock South.

It was time to suit up again and go through our buddy checks. Our instructor Dave taught us a nifty way to remember the steps using a funny acronym.
Bangkok Women Really Are Fellas.

BCD? Check.
Weights? Check.
Releases? Check.
Air? Check.
Final Check? Check!
Buddy check complete. Ready to Dive.

This dive was more than just glitzy glamorous fish; there were lessons to be learned. We worked on controlling our buoyancy and hovering over an area. This is really important when you’re scuba diving because many species of coral die once disrupted. You don’t want to be responsible for the demise of a reef because you accidentally plopped your fin down on them. In addition to hovering vertically and horizontally, he taught us how to hover upside down. That was an interesting one.

On our way up we implemented our lesson of how to do an emergency assent. To do this you simply control the pace of your ascent while exhaling slowly or vocalizing a continuous sound. As the diver swims toward the surface, their lung pressure increases relative to the surrounding pressure and exhaling equalizes this difference. So the diver can still have air in their lungs at the surface. We took turns ascending while making an ‘ahhhhhhhh’ sound until we reached the surface, passing our final test.

We got back to shore around noon and decided to meet back up for dinner to celebrate getting our scuba certification.
We lounged around the resort, ate some lunch, and took a sweet nap before the evening.

We woke up a few hours before our scheduled meeting time so we decided to grab a drink before dinner. We dawdled down the boardwalk to an ocean front bar with a sign that said “Free Pool”.
We never pass up an opportunity for bar games, so we wandered inside.
In honor of our location, I ordered a Mai Tai from the bar which turned out to be the best I have ever had!
It was so good I had to indulge in a few more which resulted in a steady decline of my billiard skills.
We relaxed and watched the sun fade over the water.
We paid our tab and headed back to Ban’s to meet up with our scuba group.
Our group grew by two as Dave introduced us to his beautiful girlfriend and Sonia brought her friend Poppy to tag along.
We enjoyed a tasty dinner and reminisced about our amazing time underwater. It wasn’t until we were done with our course and sitting around reflecting on it, that we realized we really wanted to go again. We had only planned to do our open water certification but we were so captivated by the experience we wanted more. We were hooked. We pulled Sonia aside and asked her how she would feel about doing an advanced course and immediately she was in. It was unanimous.
Dave had been tempting us to take his advanced course, so we knew he was game. Instead of simply agreeing to his offer, we decided that a little bargaining would be appropriate. We came out of our scuba huddle with a proposition; we would sign up for the advanced class if he would wipe out all the beer fines we’d racked up. The ‘Thumbs up’ bet we’d made at the beginning of our class had come back to bite us in the ass and we were all in deep debt. He laughed and agreed that after one more beer, our tab would be settled. He had been telling us that we were one of the easiest groups he’d ever taught, describing horror stories of people that sign up who can barely swim. Needless to say, he was happy that he’d get off easy for a few more days.
We had planned to celebrate and drink the night away, but now that we volunteered for the advanced course, we had an early 7:30 meet time. We finished our meal and retired, excited to see what the advanced course had in store for us tomorrow.

Posted by emichele 06:48 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.15.10: Koh Tao, Thailand

Goin down under...

sunny 90 °F

Today was the big day, time for our first scuba dive! We woke up early and met up with our dive group around 7:30 am. The Italian was nowhere to be found. After waiting a while and calling his room, we deducted that the embarrassment over his special Speedo package was too much to bear. We imagined him curled up in his bed, tears in his eyes, using his Speedo as a tissue. No big loss, our group dwindled down to three.
We grabbed our mask, fins, and BDC and headed out onto a small boat that would take us out to sea and transfer us to the big boat.
We sailed out to Mango Bay, our first dive sight.
We suited up, went through our buddy check, and flung ourselves overboard. Our first dive was a fairly shallow dive, 40 feet deep.
It was a truly incredible experience. The ocean was alive with life flourishing all around us. Vibrantly colored fish swam along unaffected by our presence as a gaped in awe. Schools of fish weaved between our legs as anemones waved with the current below us.
We saw angel fish, butterfly fish, clownfish, black dashels, which are all pretty typical of this region, but wowed us foreigners.
The lessons were far from over and after a while of swimming he took us away from the reefs to review our hand signals. He racked up a few more beers as we all shot him thumbs up, overexcited about our surroundings.
We headed back up to the surface for a short break before dive number 2. In order to avoid Nitrogen Narcosis, you have to make sure not to stay underwater for an extended period of time, so they always break up our dives. We took off our soaking wet gear, switched to a new tank for our next dive, and relaxed in the sun. We snacked on some tea and cookies while we dried off and before long we were back underwater.
We drove to the same depth but explored a whole different coral reef. We interacted with the ocean life as Dave passed around a sticky sea worm that he plucked off of a barrel sponge.
We spotted triggerfish, grouper, and baby barracudas as Dave showed us the underwater signs for each one. The highlight of the day was a giant moray eel we that was creeping out of a cavern right as we floated by.
Today’s underwater lesson was how to clear your mask of water, an activity that I was not looking forward to. In the pool Dave taught us that if you get water in your mask, you slightly tilt the bottom of the mask off your face while looking upwards and exhaling through your nose. My eyes are sensitive and in the pool it didn’t sting too bad but I did not want to find out what the salt water felt like. We all sat in a circle at the ocean floor as Dave rotated around and had us each demonstrate how to fill and clear our mask. He had a great time making fun of me when I tried to sneak by with only filling my mask a quarter full. He mimicked me crying like a little girl and I laughed so hard I started choking. I had not learned how to laugh underwater yet. As punishment, he made me remove my whole mask, exposing my face to the salty ocean, before I cleared it. This was not a fun experience. My eyes burned as left over salt water trickled down my eye lashes into my stinging eyes. It only took a few minutes to recover, I couldn’t be miserable swimming around this gorgeous scenery. I couldn’t wait to go again.
We got back to the hotel around noon and were a little tuckered out from the early rise and swimming around for hours. I decided to give myself a little pampering (as if swimming around a tropical island isn’t spoiling enough). I headed to a beach front spa and signed up for manicure/pedicure for an incredible 250baht, which is about $7. I sat in a row of leather chairs where I had a view of the ocean on one side and Thai massages being administered on the other.

Massages in Thailand are not executed like massages in the states. There is no private room with soft, soothing music and lavender smells wafting about, it is very public. There were rows of mattresses lining the walls and women who were stripped down to their bras laid next to perfect strangers. I watched the therapists contort their clients 0dell_027.jpginto origami and despite the lack of privacy, it looked pretty stimulating and made me want one.

I sat on the leather chair and propped my feet up on a covered stool. As the soundtrack changed from radio pop to old school Jay-Z , my manicurist sat down, dressed in free-flowing hippie pants and a white t-shirt adorned with sparkling marijuana leaves.
This was definitely unlike any other manicure I’ve ever had. I jammed along to the “Hard Knock Life” album as my cuticles were clipped and my toes were painted passion pink. After I was sufficiently spoiled, they brought me a cup of warm tea to sip and I watched the waves roll in as my nails dried in the sun.

Posted by emichele 14:48 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.14.10: Koh Tao, Thailand

S.C.U.B.A 101

sunny 85 °F

We had an early wake up this morning for our next PADI class. We walked in and met our instructor Dave and two others that were going to take the class with us. One of our new classmates was a chick named Sonia who was on holiday from England and the other one was an Italian guy who didn’t speak much English. He told me his name but I could not understand him so I just nodded along and proceeded to call him “The Italian”. We had another two hours of boring video and a few tests to complete before lunch. I tried my best to stay awake and completed my test with flying colors.

We broke for lunch and headed down to the restaurant to enjoy some Massaman, a Thai peanut curry dish, which was delicious.
We didn’t have much down-time, it was to start the next chapter of our dive training. It was time to get hands-on, no more books, no more cheesy videos. This round we would get suited up and actually get wet. Being newbies, we weren’t allowed in the ocean just yet, so they threw us in the pool… the shallow end.
We met Dave at one of the lovely pools at Ban's Resort and waited for Sonia and the Italian who weren’t far behind. While we stripped down to our bathing suits, the unspeakable happened. The Italian showed up in a Speedo. Unacceptable. This sort of thing may be just fine and dandy in Italy but, my lord, adapt. You're no longer in Italy and no one on this island is wearing a Speedo. Take a hint. We were all blinded by his man panties and tried our best to look elsewhere.

We warmed up with a physical fitness test; 20 laps and 10 minutes of treading water. Piece of cake.

Afterwards we climbed out of the pool (the Italians Speedo barely hanging on for dear life) and prepared for our next lesson. Dave sat us down and taught us the different parts and uses of our scuba gear.

The first piece of scuba attire is your weight belt which is used to counteract the buoyancy of the other equipment. Next is our BCD, buoyancy control device, which is attached to our oxygen tanks.
He demonstrated how to hook up our mouthpieces and pressure gauges to the tank and explained how the gauges work. The last part of the ensembles is the fins and the mask.
Now it was our turn to apply this lesson and get suited up in our gear. We got all suited up; once again trying our best not to stare at the Italian whose scuba gear was pushing his itty bitty bikini briefs to pornographic limits. We were ready to dive.
Instead of diving we dipped, right into the shallow end. Our first exercise was simply breathing underwater and reading our gauges. He taught us how to communicate with special underwater signals. This took a longer to learn than expected. When everything is peachy, my normal signal is to give the thumbs up sign; however, in diving language, this means that you want to go up to the surface. Instead you give the “ok” sign.
Everyone had the same problem as me and we all kept flashing our thumbs-up. To break us of this habit, Dave proposed a deal; everything we gave an unnecessary thumbs-up we would have to buy him a beer, but on the contrary, if he gave us a thumbs-up he would buy us all beers. Something told me not to trust this deal, but we all agreed. By the end of the day Dave had racked up over a 6 pack. Something tells me he’s done this before.

After the kiddy-pool training, we moved to the deep end. We learned how to control our buoyancy using deep and shallow breaths. He also taught us how to assist in buddy-breathing, when your dive partner runs out of air and needs to use your extra mouth piece to breath together out of one tank until you can make a proper ascent to the surface.
Dave concluded the class with high fives for all of us and one simple request for the Italian; Invest in a pair of board shorts.
It was an informative day and I felt prepared to dive.
Tomorrow would be our first day of diving and I couldn’t wait.

From Executive Producer Andy Streitfeld and AMS Pictures, comes Ma's Roadhouse a new reality show on truTV!
Rick Fairless is the owner of Strokers Dallas, a Texas motorcycle shop, tattoo parlor and biker bar. His greatest asset is his 71-year-old mother, who's also his best, but most outspoken, employee. Can Rick keep his business afloat? And can Ma keep her hands off the bartender?

I wish I could be there to watch it with all the hardworking people at AMS :( but at least, by then, I will be back in the states and watching intently from my TV at home :) You guys are the best!


Posted by emichele 16:04 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.13.10: Koh Tao, Thailand

Finally some island fun!

sunny 88 °F

I woke up at 6:00am when our atrocious bus came to a stop. We were at the boat docks and had an hour to linger until our boat arrived to take us to the island of Koh Tao. I unrolled my sleeping bag and set up a nice bed on the concrete floor. It was the best hour of sleep I’d gotten all night. We had a two hour boat ride where I drifted in and out of slumber until we finally arrived at our island destination.

After only a few hours sleep I promptly checked in to our hotel room and spent a good portion of the day sleeping like a baby.

When I finally woke up I decided to go survey the sights of our beautiful hotel.
We were staying at the Ban’s Diving Resort on the beach of Koh Tao. It was an attractive resort with a relaxing jungle vibe.
They brought the tropical rainforest right to us with rooms surrounded by a wealth of plant life and small ponds with swimming fish and snapping turtles.
There were two large pools and a restaurant/bar that over looked the beach.
I headed down to the Fishbowl Restaurant and Bar for a refreshing glass of iced green tea. The restaurant was stationed right on the beach with seating just a few feet away from the rising tide.
I had my choice between lounging floor seats or tables and the only rules were no shoes allowed.
I walked in, ditched my sandals, plucked a flower from a tree and stuck it behind my ear.
It wasn’t hard to get into the spirit of the island life. I sipped my tea and looked out into the glittery ocean.
This was a nice change from the rest of my trip. Finally some R&R.
One of the main reasons we chose Koh Tao and Ban’s Diving Resort is because of their reputation for scuba diving. Ban’s is known for their PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) dive certification classes. They have one of the best and cheapest scuba training in the world and Koh Tao is one of the top diving sites in the world, making it a ideal recipe for dive enthusiasts. I have always been interested in scuba diving and being a So Cal native, I feel at home in the water. They offered us an amazing deal; a free room at the resort if we signed up for one of their dive courses. How could we say no?

We signed up for the PADI open water course. This five day course consists of a classroom training session, a pool orientation course and 4 ocean dives, and of course 5 free nights at Ban’s Dive Resort.

I was pumped up. At 5pm we reported to our first class. This was the boring part. We were introduced to our instructor, a bald-headed English guy named Dave. He had been diving for over 10 years and it was apparent that he was very qualified. He handed us some enormous PADI education books to study with and turned on an instructional video to prepare us for the multitude of tests we had to take before we were allowed to dive. The poor videography and amateur editing of these videos killed me as I sat through hours of instruction. We completed a few tests and were done for the day.

I was ready to dive. Unfortunately I had another early morning class to report to and a pool training session before I could ever step foot into the water. Bummer.

After class we headed down to the Fishbowl Bar & Grill for some dinner. When we arrived we noticed a few large tables lining the exterior of the restaurant. There were iced troughs full of fish and shrimp and uncooked kabobs waiting for the grill.
They had a great deal on the BBQ offering two kabobs, corn on the cob, and potatos for an unbelievably cheap price. We ordered two and watched them grill it in front of our eyes. It was delicous.

From Executive Producer Andy Streitfeld and AMS Pictures, comes Ma's Roadhouse a new reality show on truTV!
Rick Fairless is the owner of Strokers Dallas, a Texas motorcycle shop, tattoo parlor and biker bar. His greatest asset is his 71-year-old mother, who's also his best, but most outspoken, employee. Can Rick keep his business afloat? And can Ma keep her hands off the bartender?

I wish I could be there to watch it with all the hardworking people at AMS :( but at least, by then, I will be back in the states and watching intently from my TV at home :) You guys are the best!


Posted by emichele 01:19 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.12.10: Goodbye Bangkok

Double-Decker Darkness....

sunny 84 °F

We enjoyed our last day in Bangkok by taking full advantage of our nice hotel room air-conditioning. I didn't move from my bed until around noon. I needed time to recover and get the "Hotel California" ringing in my ears to stop. I managed to pull myself out of bed around two and went down the street for some lunch. A mouth-watering bowl of Thai soup warmed my tummy and did just the trick.

I packed my bags and lolled around until it was time to bid adieu to Bangkok. We had a long overnight bus ride to Chumpon followed by a two hour boat ride to the Island of Koh Tao. I was not looking forward to it.

We booked our bus the day before and were promised a ride of luxury. The agency told us that we would have the front two seats, a lot of leg room and fully reclining seats. We'd seen pictures of the bus and were pleased with the ritzy exterior, so we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.

We left our hotel around 8pm and headed for the train station, where our bus would be picking us up. We waited with a large group of other passengers while our bus took it's sweet time.

When we were finally called, we were in no rush because we had assigned seats. We leisurely picked up our bags and followed at the back of the crowd. We ended up being the last people on the bus.

When entered the double-decker, almost all the seats were already taken. We asked the driver where our seats were and he informed us that there were no assigned seats; it was first come, first served. Great. The bus was divided up with two seats on each side of the aisle except for the back row, which was comprised of a row of 5 seats. This is where we ended up, crammed in between three strangers. For the cherry on top, when we went to recline our seats, they didn't budge. Ours were the only seats in the entire bus that didn't recline. Of course the people in front of us had a great night sleep resting their lazy boys on our aching knee caps. It was an dreadful night of travel.

From Executive Producer Andy Streitfeld and AMS Pictures, comes Ma's Roadhouse a new reality show on truTV!
Rick Fairless is the owner of Strokers Dallas, a Texas motorcycle shop, tattoo parlor and biker bar. His greatest asset is his 71-year-old mother, who's also his best, but most outspoken, employee. Can Rick keep his business afloat? And can Ma keep her hands off the bartender?

I wish I could be there to watch it with all the hardworking people at AMS :( but at least, by then, I will be back in the states and watching intently from my TV at home :) You guys are the best!


Posted by emichele 03:52 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.11.10: Bangkok, Thailand

Chinatown and Chang's

sunny 83 °F

After the previous night of scandalous insanity, I decided that it would be wise to sleep in and recuperate.

After a slow morning filled with water bottles and TV reruns, I was ready to get my butt in gear and head out into the three dimensional world.

One of the things I wanted to see while in Bangkok was Chinatown. It was raved about in my guide book as a bargain shopping Mecca and I am always game for a bargain.
In order to get to Chinatown we would have to take a new form of transportation; the subway. I've never even been on a subway in the United States, so I was just excited to find out what was in store for me.
Just like the sky tram, Bangkok’s subway system was incredibly easy. A few pushes of a bilingual touch screen and we were issued our tickets. We only had to wait a few seconds before our subway arrived and I watched as people exited and entered in a leisurely, polite manner. The inside was pristinely clean, not a piece of trash in sight.
There were TV screens inside showing ads one minute and verifying your location the next. It was a breeze.
We hopped off the subway and started walking toward Chinatown. With the way it was described to me, the market seemed like something that would be clearly visible. To quote Lonely Planet, “[Chinatown] is a confusing and crowded array of jewelry, hardware, wholesale food, automotive and fabric shops, as well as dozens of other small businesses". I walked up and down the streets looking for some form of life and couldn't find a trace of any market. I stopped and asked one of the locals who told me that the market was closed until 6pm. Great. The one thing my guide book did not mention was that it was a nigh market. That's what I get for trying to save money by buying a guidebook published in 2001.
It was around four and we had two hours until the action started. We decided to grab some food at a restaurant that overlooked the river. It was overpriced for the skimpy serving of spicy glass noodles that arrived, but the quality was pretty good. That killed a little bit of time but not enough. We hung around and soaked up the air-conditioning as much as possible before we headed back out.
We were a little early, but we saw people setting up shops and opening their street stalls so we moseyed up and down the aisles checking out the goods. They had everything from fake Rolex watches and Ray Bay sunglasses to fresh fruit and raw meat. Huge woks simmered soup next to fresh roasted corn on the cob. The aromas were overwhelming. As I wandered from one stall to the next my hunger turned to nausea as my smell receptors detected putrid fish and ripe durian.
I walked along and poked my head into a few places to inquire about handbags and jewelry and to my surprise, no one seemed interested. I had heard that this was the place to bargain, but when I asked the price of an item they seemed to be annoyed as if I was pestering them with my silly questions. This was a far cry from India, where all I had to do was glance at an item and I was thrown into an auction. I walked into one purse store, asked for a price quote and the salesman finally responded "800 baht" just before he walked away from me. He ducked into the back and after waiting a few minutes for his return, I finally left.
Another odd thing was how they priced their items. They would not allow me to buy just one of anything. I looked at a tag which read "100 baht" and when I went to pay, the woman said "No, that wholesale price. You buy six and 100baht." What the hell do I need six purses for? I could not find a store to sell me just one item. It was bizarre and definitely not what I was expecting from this grand market.

After about two hours of walking around, I finally threw in the towel. I don’t particularly like shopping anyway, but his was just too much work. If you have to work that hard at spending money, you probably shouldn’t be spending it. Chinatown was a bust.

We hopped back on the subway, both pretty peeved about the day’s events. When we got to the part of our journey requiring us to switch from the subway to the sky tram, we decided that we were in no rush and we should find a bar.
The only problem with the area we were staying in is that there is not much nightlife close by. In order to get anywhere fun, you have to take the sky tram. We decided to take advantage of our location and chill out somewhere fun.

We got off the sky tram and wandered into a simple bar filled with dim lights, smooth jazz and beer specials. We ended up chatting with a nice couple. Thomas and Tana were both Americans living in Bangkok on business. It wasn't long until we noticed that we had traveled to a lot of the same places. They also had been to India and actually lived there for a few years before taking jobs in Thailand. We chatted for a while and exchanged horror stories about India that made us all laugh.
They suggested that, if we were looking for some nightlife nearby, we could follow them to a place called Soi Cowboy. They were meeting a friend there anyway, so we gladly tagged along.

I read about Soi Cowboy before and my guidebook described it as a toned-down Patpong. I was relieved. Not only because we wouldn't have to travel far, but also because I knew it couldn't be as crazy as the night before. I was ready for an easy night of bar games and beer pitchers.
A toned-down Patpong was the perfect depiction of Soi Cowboy. It looked the same only on a much smaller scale. Instead of ping-pong shows and go-go girls, there were pool tables and drink specials; right up my alley.

We said thanks and goodbye as we split up from Thomas and Tana. They went to meet their friend and we wandered down the street checking out the scenery. We found the first bar that wasn't swarming with scantily clad Asian women looking for a play date, and wandered inside.

We ordered some whiskey and chilled for a while and eventually the manager came over and introduced herself. Kiko was her name; she was visibly intoxicated, and had squeezed herself into a tight little black tube-top dress. She was less obnoxious than most drunk women and quite entertaining, so we chatted in short bursts until something new grabbed her attention. This woman had the attention span of a three year old.

Where you from?
Oh, Obama.
This was her only reply. We all laughed. She walked away.
We engaged ourselves in a new game we found called Jackpot. We clearly had no idea what we were doing as we fumbled with the box like cave people. The bartender looked over and laughed at us before she came to help. After we learned how to play it was much more entertaining and we kept rolling the dice until Kiko came back for her encore performance.

How old are you?
How old you think I am?
Ummm... 33?
Ooooh me love you long time! I 44!

That was our conversation verbatim. I laughed my head off for a good five minutes. Then she proceeded to give me the slurred cliffs notes version of her life story and walked away again.

We finished our drinks said goodbye to Kiko and headed down the strip in search of a bar with a pool table. As we were stumbling along, we ran back into Thomas and Tana.

We decided to grab another drink together and shoot a few games of pool. The bar had a mellow ambiance, low lighting, a few pool tables and a stage.
Right as we walked in the band started their set with a cover of "Hotel California" and I knew we had picked the right bar.

We jammed along to the music, shot pool, drank Chang's and enjoyed our new friends.
We talked at length about their travels and what it was like adapting to living in a new country. Toward the end of the night the conversation turned from Indian food and bathroom humor to nostalgic foods from back home. We salivated over taco shops and burritos and whined about how long it had been since we'd had good Mexican food. They told us about a place, just a sky tram away, called Los Cabos that has the best Mexican food around. We were there! Since this place was a little hard to find they offered to go with us and share some margaritas.

Los Cabos turned out to be everything they promised it would be. Along with a giant pitcher of margaritas, I feasted on a massive carne asada burrito that put me right at home.
Thomas and Tana were awesome! Not only did they give us good tips on Thailand and where to party, they took us there. Not only did they tell us where the Mexican food place was, they took us there too, AND they paid for our drinks! These are the type of people all travelers want to meet!
Thanks Thomas and Tana for an amazing night of inebriation!

  • A funny thing I've noticed about Bangkok, is the abundance of hot young women I see walking around with older, unattractive men.

What is the deal? For every 10 couples I see, at least half of them have an age gap of about 30 years. If you're a lonely retired white man, with a little pocket change to spare, Thailand is the place for you!

From Executive Producer Andy Streitfeld and AMS Pictures, comes Ma's Roadhouse a new reality show on TrueTV!
Rick Fairless is the owner of Strokers Dallas, a Texas motorcycle shop, tattoo parlor and biker bar. His greatest asset is his 71-year-old mother, who's also his best, but most outspoken, employee. Can Rick keep his business afloat? And can Ma keep her hands off the bartender?


I wish I could be there to watch it with all the hardworking people at AMS :( but at least, by then, I will be back in the states and watching intently from my TV at home :) You guys rock!


Posted by emichele 00:13 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.10.10: Bangkok, Thailand

Truely, an odd day...

sunny 82 °F

Today we decided that it was time to explore Bangkok ! We planned to guide ourselves on a river walking tour around the Ko Ratanakosin area. There were a bunch of sights to see all bundled together in a close radius around Chao Phraya River so we mapped out our top picks and headed out into town.
Our first adventure was navigating our way to our destination. Bangkok has a very advanced transportation system and you can get around by almost any means. From subways and railways, to trains, buzzes, cabs and tuk tuks, there is always an option for whatever you desire.

Our particular route required the sky train, a form of transportation new to me. Aside from the sky tram at Disneyland I'd never seen anything like it. Aside from its ingenuity, it was also very easy. You never know what you're getting into when you venture around a new country and I have definitely had my fair share of international travel traumas, so I was expecting the worse.
The sky tram exceeded my expectations and I bought my ticket without any hassle. As the tram pulled up, it looked like something straight out of Tomorrowland and I took my seat with a cheesy grin plastered on my naive face. I felt like a five year old riding the tea cups for the first time but I didn't care.. I liked being five.. and riding the tea cups.

After we were done with the first mode of transportation we hopped onto our second; a long slender wooden boat lined with colorful streamers. We set sail down the river and enjoyed our scenic ride.
We stepped off our ferry into a covered market lined with clothes, trinkets and the wafting smell of Thai spices. It was then that we promoted "eat food" to item number one on the to-do list. We slipped into a small cafe that looked out over the river to do our dining. We watched oriental boats move up and down the banks.
I twirled my chop sticks around some spicy pad Thai and I washed it down with milky coconut juice, served in a coconut, of course.
We navigated our way through the busy Bangkok streets trying to find number two on the to-do list; The Museum of the Department of Forensic Medicine. If you know me at all it should come as no surprise that along with my Law and Order collection and my obsession with murder mysteries comes a sick fascination with forensic science. When the first words in my guide book where "Do not go with a full stomach", I knew it going to be just gross as I'd hoped.

The museum was just as awesomely gruesome as I had expected. It is broken up into several different exhibits, each more stomach-churning than the last.
The jaw-dropping hits you as soon as you walk in the door and are face to face with dead children displayed in jars of formaldehyde. The different birth defects and disorders that are featured range from Gastroschisis (an opening in the abdominal wall through which the internal organs push outside of the baby's body) to Parasitic Twins and worse.

  • I chose to make these pictures thumbnails because of the content, so beware.

Seeing dead children wasn’t quite the excitement I was hoping for, however the exhibits in the parasitology, pathology and forensic departments were just up my alley. Here I found chain saws, guns, grenades knives used in murders, along with the bloodstained clothing of the victims; diseased livers, kidneys, and hearts; lungs with stab wounds and more.
One particularly interesting victim had his head displayed as a result of a bullet wound. The interesting part is that his head is laterally sawed in half to exemplify the path of the bullet-hole.
I don’t plan on being in a gang fight anytime soon, so this part didn’t get to me as much as the car accident aftermaths; something that could very well happen to me. They had cases with mangled appendages torn apart in auto collisions where you could clearly see all of the tendons, bones, and veins. They also showed an actual ruptured spleen from an accident as well. As a result, I will drive safer. Lesson learned.
One interesting body was the wax-filled remains of the infamous 1950’s cannibal, Si Quey. His body, now filled with paraffin, reveals a visible autopsy scar across his forehead. I was told that his brain was removed to determine if a cannibal’s brain functions differently than the “normal” brain, turns out it does not.
The Parasitology Museum was a whole different kind of nasty. This museum focused on hookworms, pinworms, roundworms, diseases from malarial-vectors and other disgusting parasites native to the Thai region. Perhaps the most outstanding exhibit features a 75 cm in scrotum, the result of elephantiasis, a disease contracted from contact with the mansonia mosquito.
Besides the infant section at the beginning of the museum, one other part
that was particularly disturbing, was the section dedicated to the Tsunami Victims. The 2004 Tsunami killed over 230,000 people in fourteen countries and was one of the deadliest natural disasters in history. The museum displays several drowned bodies of children and features videos documenting the whole tragedy.

There is nothing like decapitated limbs and deformations to work up an appetite so we walked along until we found a nice place to escape the heat and eat. We found a nice air-conditioned restaurant and enjoyed some Thai iced tea and a spicy lemongrass salad with prawns.

Next we decided to head back across the river to Wat Pho, a famous temple featuring the largest reclining Buddha in the world. When we got to the docks I noticed a ton of fish right up on the surface, waiting for food.
There were more fish than I'd ever seen congregating in one area. I watched two Thai ladies throw them a bag full of cheesy poofs and they went to town!
They were flippin' and flappin' all over each other, smackin' each other in the face with their tails, fighting to the death for these cheese balls. It reminded me of my childhood when I would go fishing with my grandpa in Michigan . He would bring me to these little man made ponds and would throw in some fish food. He'd help me toss my line in just as the fish were flapping around the food. I would always catch at least one. I thought I was a pro, and my grandpa just sat back and smiled at my naivety. It wasn't until I grew up that I realized that he made it so easy for me, I might as well have been shootin' fish in a barrel.

The next place on our tour was Wat Pho, the oldest and largest wat (temple) in Bangkok .
We passed under a small portico and were greeted by two Farang guards dressed in Chinese opera style armor and long beards. Although they were armed, they smiled and let us take pictures.
We walked around the jeweled wat and into the southern compound, Tukwagee. Tukwagee is a Buddhist monastery and serves as a school and home for many monks. We watched them congregate around the complex clad in their traditional robes.
We walked into the main chapel and saw several monks praying before a giant gold gleaming Buddha.
Next we walked around the four great stupas of Wat Pho. Each of these colorful mosaic stupas stands over 40 meters high.
There are groups of these Chedi's all around the complex, each with a different color scheme and each just as intricate as the last.
Next we moseyed over to the Khao Mor, or model hills.
These are the rock Gardens of Wat Pho.
Filled with Chinese pagodas and small rock statues, each garden is named after the type of plant grown there. I had fun imitating the yoga poses of the rock statues.
Wat Pho is home to the world’s largest collection of Buddha images and it didn't take much walking around to realize it. We stumbled upon a large cloister lined with standing and seated Buddha’s, each slightly different from its neighbor. There are 150 Buddha statues on the inside of the cloister and 244 lining the outside.
Phra Mondop is the scripture hall of Wat Pho. Mondops are typical at the larger Buddhist temples and are used to store important scriptures or Buddhist teachings.
The last and most memorable place we visited inside of Wat Pho was the temple of the reclining Buddha.
After all the sights I've seen around the world, it takes a lot to impress me and this statue definitely did.
The giant statue is jaw dropping and is 150 feet long and 72 feet tall. The entire statue is glimmering gold plated and is inlaid with intricate mother of pearl at the soles.
The elaborate designs of mother of pearl illustrates the passage of Buddha into Nirvana.
Surrounding this golden beauty are several smaller Buddha’s and rows of prayer buckets. We bought a bucket of coins and took turns tossing a prayer into each.
The sun was falling and it was time to head back to the hotel. We walked through a small market place full of delightful smells and rotting meat until we reached the docks.
We hopped on a boat and two sky trains before we were finally back home.

We washed up with quickness and set off, anxious to experience Bangkok after dark! Bangkok nightlife has a reputation for being wild and rowdy. With offers of go-go girly shows, lady-men and prostitution the famous red-light district of Patpong is where it all starts.
Patpong's neon lit buildings house a multitude of go-go bars, restaurants and discos all offering drink special and women for sale. At night, the market opens and the streets are filled with drunken tourists making bad decisions on fake Prada bags and Burberry bling. It is like the Vegas of the east except with looser woman and ruder rip-offs, in other words; great entertainment!

We started off slow, with a glass of Chivas Regal and a game of pool at a low-key corner bar. Once my tummy was warm with whiskey we decided to step it up a notch and venture into the "Electric Blue Go-Go". This small rectangular bar consisted of a raised runway centered around bench seats that lined the walls. The Go-Go show was merely bikini-clad girls standing next to poles. The dancing, if you can call it that, consisted of small pivoting movements and shifting their weight from one leg to the other. Their disinterested eyes failed to leave their own physique, as they stared straight past their audience into a large mirror where their vanity was on full display. At first I was a little disappointed. This was supposed to wow me and I've seen more entertainment at drag queen show with my mother. Then I noticed that each girl had a numbered pin adorning her bathing suit bottom. I looked around and noticed a large sign painted on the wall that said "Every girl is available for your ultimate pleasure". That's when I realized I'm not in Kansas anymore.
We left the Go-Go show and started walking down the street. It wasn’t long before we encountered someone trying to sell us something. In this case, it was beer. I listened intently. The guy offered us large Chang’s for 100 Baht, a great deal, especially in this district. We followed him down the street and up a flight of stairs into a bar. I looked around for a name and could not find one. This club was unlabelled; my first tip-off of trouble to come.


This unlabelled bar was home to the notorious “Ping Pong” show. A ping-pong show is a free adult show in which innocent tourists get WAY more than they bargained for and WAY more than they wanted to see. First of all, any show that is free, is probably not worth your time. Any sex show that is free, should send you running for the hills.

We were conned inside by the cheap beer and before we had a chance to look observe our unfortunate surrounding, we were handed our beer, forcing us to stay and watch. It put me at ease, looking around at the crowd of young couples drinking around us and I figured it couldn’t be that bad. We introduced ourselves to a nice English couple around our age that was sitting next to us. When I asked the woman what I was in for she responded with, “Just wait”.

The first show we were lucky to see was the Ping-Pong show in which a homely middle-aged woman shoved a few ping pong balls between her legs. She must not have been doing her “exercises” because they fell out, frantically trying to break free. Once she secured them, she wowed us all with her accurate aim, as she shot them into a drinking glass on the edge of the stage, putting a whole new spin on the game “Quarters”.

Because of the wide variety of my blog viewers, I will tip-toe around the next few descriptions and if you perverts want more details, you can email me.

Besides the ping-pong show, there was an egg show in which an egg was cracked on stage using unspeakable orifices. One girl showed us her special way of blowing out candles. One show that makes me cringe even now, was when one girl played hide and seek with a string of razor blades. There were sparklers, soda bottles, whistles, and horns. It was a regular nudie circus. The highlight of the night was when a showgirl wrote Max a little love note without using her hand a souvenir that, I’m sure he will cherish forever.
After my awkwardness hit its peak and I was begging for some hand sanitizer, we decided to leave. We drank only two beers each and bought one for the trickster who wrote Max’s name, so our bill was only 500 Baht.

We went up to the counter to pay out and were greeted with a stern glare by a woman who looked suspiciously like John Goodman. She handed us a bill for 3,400 Baht and I almost choked. When I calmly told her that there must have been a mistake, she wasted no time signaling for her backup broad, another woman that looked as though she should be NFL linemen. I told her that we only had 5 beers and at 100 Baht each our tab should be 500 Baht. Without hesitation she got within a foot of my face and started screaming at me like a wild banshee. I thought it best not to challenge her, since she could and would sit on me and flatten me into a pancake. Instead I stared into her eyes as she winded down her tirade. I turned to Max whose only comment on the situation was, “I’m going to jail tonight”. I thought maybe we could make a run for it, but as I walked to the door another set of titanic tits blocked my way. This chick was bigger than the last two and had no intention of letting me go anywhere. As I turned back to the table Max was shelling out some cash and the doorman was signaled that it was alright to let us go.

One good thing about growing up so close to the boarder, is that we are pretty good with how not to get hustled. There is a very important rule to remember when you to Tijuana; divide up your money. Put a 20 in your shoe, small bills in your wallet, and another 20 in your bra. This is so, when you get robbed by the corrupt police (which can and does happen frequently) you give the impression that you are giving them everything you have. When all the money in your wallet has gone to supporting the recreational drug usage of the federali's, you still have money stowed away. Thankfully, Max used this same mentality when we headed out for the night. He had 1,000’s stored in a secret pocket but only 700 in his wallet which went to the “free” show.

When we left, I was livid. Not because I had been hustled out of an extra 200 Baht, because I got punked by a Jon Goodman tranny! I needed another drink to calm down so we ended the eventful night with a few games of pool and a pitcher of beer.
Thank you Patpong for a shockingly memorable experience!

From Executive Producer Andy Streitfeld and AMS Pictures, comes Ma's Roadhouse a new reality show on truTV!
Rick Fairless is the owner of Strokers Dallas, a Texas motorcycle shop, tattoo parlor and biker bar. His greatest asset is his 71-year-old mother, who's also his best, but most outspoken, employee. Can Rick keep his business afloat? And can Ma keep her hands off the bartender?


I wish I could be there to watch it with all the hardworking people at AMS :( but at least, by then, I will be back in the states and watching intently from my TV at home :) You guys rock!

Posted by emichele 05:48 Archived in Thailand Comments (0)

8.9.10: Bangkok, Thailand

Welcome to Bangkok!

sunny 85 °F

I woke up after a somewhat sleepless night as the stewardess was announcing our descent into Bangkok. The trip had been a turbulent one, not the flight itself, only my experience. I thought that I had gotten lucky after an airline attendant allowed me to switch my seat just after take off. I was originally squished between two people in a seat that would not recline and I was stoked when I was reassigned to a window seat with no one occupying the middle. The excitement wore off as I realized that I was the one outsider in a group of Indian frat boys who didn't understand the appropriate decibel level of conversation. After we left the runway, they turned off the cabin lights and I eventually started to nod off.
Right as I was slipping into oblivion the lights came blazing back on. They were serving dinner, something that normally would have excited me. We boarded the flight at 1 am, it was now around 3 and they were serving dinner?! Who eats dinner at 3 in the morning? Unless it is to sober you up for a drive home, I don't get it.
The lights were up the rest of the night as were the frat boys around me. My eyes started getting heavy again just as turbulence hit, not the plane, just my seat. One of the guys behind me must have been playing Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots with my seat, because I was gyrating like a Grand Mal. My death glare did nothing to deter them from acting like jackasses so I did my best to ignore them.

We got off the plane, passed through customs, and collected our bags from the carousal. I almost didn't recognize the pack I'd been carrying around for two months. As it rotated towards me, I noticed that it was my bag, only covered in dust and dirt. It looked like someone pulled it out of the plane, threw it on the ground and ran in place on top of it. I was a little peeved but realized we had a bigger problem when we pulled Max's bag off the line. His was saturated with some sort of oil that smelled like curry and dripped down the whole front. He was more than pissed. Why? Why now, at six am after no sleep did I have to deal with this? And why did it have to smell like curry of all things?! I thought India had screwed me over for the last time, but no, it took one more opportunity to cause me grief! After examining his bag, Max decided that he wanted to talk to the airline. His expensive bag was possibly ruined and reeked of curry and we still had another month to schlep it around.

We trekked to the farthest corner of the airport, conveniently in the exact opposite direction of where we were, and entered the Jet Airways customer service office. We explained our situation to the woman in charge and showed her the evidence. She got on the phone, called the baggage handlers, exchanged a few words in Thai and hung up. "It will be about twenty minutes before they can assess your situation", she said with a smile. We waited. Finally the phone rang, words were exchanged and she hung up. She informed us that she had spoken to the baggage department and that they will not grant a complaint. She explained that because there was no liquid in the baggage cart, the leak must have been the result of another bag and that Jet Airways has no responsibility. "They have denied your request to file a complaint" is the part that threw me for a loop. How can you deny me the right to file a complaint. Isn't that my right as a customer? I guess not.

We carted our soiled putrid baggage back across the airport to an ATM Kiosk to grab some Baht. I stuck my card in, entered in the amount, grabbed my money and walked away.
I forgot a step. I forgot, probably the most important step, get your card back. To take my stupidity a step further, I will not realize that I have left my card for another eight hours. This is what happens to Emily when she doesn't get sleep, her IQ plummets and she is left with the intellectual capacity of a cactus.

We hopped into a cab and got dropped off at our hotel. The cab drove off just as I realized that I had left my prized North Face fleece in the backseat. I needed sleep.

I went up to the room and was comatose within minutes.

It wasn't until I woke from hibernation that I was able to appreciate the allure of our new hotel. DS 67 Suites was the hotel name and it was the nicest hotels we have stayed in yet. The hotel had a very cool, modern vibe and employed an extremely helpful, competent staff. The bedroom was an eye-catcher complete with a bright pink wall, lime green headboard and a large decal of a young Asian girl saying hello in many different languages.
The blinding colors and tacky decorations were a fun change from the barren un-themed rooms I'm used to. The lobby had a reception and internet area that was attached to a coffee house so after I rose from my slumber, I headed down for a cup of java. I was pleasantly surprised at the generous stature of my polka dotted glass and the free cookies I received as a complementary snack.
After I was done with my coffee it was time for food. My breakfast was nothing more than a meager helping of snores, so I was hungry for a big meal. We walked down the street about a half mile before we came upon any sort of edibles. We walked hesitantly into what looked like a mall complex with different eatery advertising gracing the front. We walked inside past the Sizzler and McDonald's and up an escalator to a level that looked a little less like a food court. A sign lit up my eyes with the neon words "Sushi Buffet" and the decision was made.

I walked into a sushi lovers dream restaurant. It was a wonderland of sushi, with so many different things to look at, I didn't know where to start.
First off, there was the buffet, which was a work of art in and of itself. At the head of the line sat Vegetables and shrimp, deep fried tempura style with an array of dipping sauces for my ultimate enjoyment. Next were a colorful collage of rolls; shrimp, cucumber, eel, squid, caviar topped, seaweed wrapped, spicy or sweet. I helped myself to a heaping pile that included one of each! Next were the salads. I had a choice between seaweed salad and a green salad topped with sweet Ginger dressing. I chose both.
I returned to my table as the waitress approached to explain the rest of the buffet and answer all of my questions. With a buffet, you'd think the explanation would be fairly minimal; get a plate, help yourself, eat. This was no ordinary buffet. The first thing that tipped me off was the platters of raw meat and veggies that were rotating around the restaurant. Small plates of lettuce, baby corn, cabbage, liver, beef, bacon, and other unrecognizable raw meat floated by on a large conveyor belt strategically placed in front of each place setting.
As I sat down my plate of rolls I noticed a large boiling pot of soup bubbling on a burner right next to my plate. The waitress explained that this is how I make my own soup. She showed me where I could adjust the temperature of the soup and let me know that the items drifting by in front of me were available for whatever soup concoction I desired. For a little more flavor she pointed to a caboodle of sauces containing ginger, chili oil, and garlic which I could dabble in, as well.
I was overwhelmed with excitement! I felt like I was in Willy Wonkas chocolate factory, except with raw fish instead of sweets. It was Emily Michele and the sushi factory!

I felt like a kid in a candy store picking up random foods and throwing them into my boiling cauldron of glory without a care in the world. With no regard for flavor combinations, in went an egg, some cabbage, a little fish, a little I dunno what, a spoonful of chili oil, garlic, and a little soy sauce for the hell of it.

I munched on my delicious sushi rolls while my soup simmered. Between bites I'd stir away and contemplate adding more ingredients until it was time to eat.
The soup turned out great and I was impressed with my masterpiece! I was thoroughly entertained through the whole meal. I don't understand why we don't have these in the states!? It seems like it would be such a hit!

After I was done with my personally prepared perfection, I headed over to the ice cream station for the cherry on top.
Strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate; a harmonic trio lounging together inside the bowl before making the journey into my belly. What a tasty journey it was.

About the time that I went to pay for the beautiful buffet was when I realized that my ATM card was M.I.A. My
mind was racing. I was speeding down a one-way street toward Panicsville and I made sharp left at pity parkway before I reached my self-loathing destination.

I made sure that my ATM card hadn't been used before I called the airport to try and track it down. I don't do this sort of moronic move often but I have slipped into the same sort of genius before. When I was living in Dallas I used an ATM drive through except I drove through without getting my card back. When I realized it 20 minutes later, it was too late. Bank of America informed me that it "ate" my card and the only thing I could do is get a new one. It was easy. There was a Bank Of America on every block. Here its a little different. Where the hell am I supposed to find a bank of America in Thailand!? I wouldn't even embarrass myself by asking that question.
I decided to try my luck with the Bangkok International Airport customer service department. My fingers were crossed and my expect ions low as I was transferred from one person to the next trying to figure out what the American lady wanted. I tried to explain which ATM I left my card in, but my lack of observation was astonishing.
"I don't know what floor it was on but it was next to a coffee shop I think... And next to a bank. Ya, a coffee shop and a bank." I said sounding less intelligent with every word muttered.

Do you remember the name of the ATM?
Um, no. Wait! Let me check and see if I got a receipt!
(a few minutes later)
Nope, forgot that too.
Do you remember the color of the ATM.
Was it purple or-
Yes! Purple!
Or blue?
Oh. Ya it could have been blue...
Maybe it was blueish-purple, like a periwinkle shade.

She told me that she would try to locate the card and promised to call the hotel if she found it. I hung up the phone feeling like I just wasted the last twenty minutes trying to shove a square peg in a round hole ( I'm sure the same way that the operator felt dealing with such a shockingly ditsy foreigner).

I was elated when I promptly received a follow-up phone call informing me of the whereabouts of my Visa. The ease of the transaction was amazing. All I had to do was cab it back down to the airport with my passport in hand and pick it up from a conveniently placed ATM kiosk. This seemed too good to be true, and I was waiting for something to go terribly wrong, but it never did. My card and I were reunited and it felt so good.

To celebrate we decided to go put my card to work and rack up some drink charges at a local bar. Our hotel was a ways away from any substantial nightlife, so after a half hour of walking we decided to settle for the first bar we found.

As we turned the corner an Irish pub appeared lit up with Guinness signs and neon beer specials. Perfect. We walked in and were instantly pleased. This three story pub greeted us with a long wraparound bar in the first level, leather couch lounging on the second story and a game room on the top. We ordered drinks and headed up to the game room for some friendly competition. Complete with a dart and shuffle boards, Foosball and Golden Tee, this bar had all the nostalgia of my favorite bars back home.
We downed some whiskey and a few beers, threw a couple games of darts and made up our own rules for shuffleboard. We munched on some complementary bruschetta chips with delicious pesto dressing.
It seemed like it couldn't get any better, until the impossible happened.
The flickering big screen in front of our table landed on the perfect channel. I could hardly believe my eyes. Is that football I see!? It is! The Cowboys/Bengals preseason game! Who cares if the season hasn't started yet. Who cares if it's not the Chargers playing! It's football! And I like the cowboys anyway! And it's football! For seven months I've been missing my favorite sport and now it's back! For once I can watch a game that doesn't involve players kicking a ball. I get to watch huge men pummel each other for praise instead of wussie futbol fairies who fall over and cry at the slightest bit of contact. I like my athletics with a side of brutality and this kind of brain bashing manliness is just the football I was looking for!

Suddenly our competition came to a screeching halt. I could concentrate on nothing else. We parked our butts on the bar stools and watched the game, infatuated with every play. We were bantering back and forth like Sports Center adding our own comedic commentary when necessary.

I had to sit back and laugh at what a multicultural salad I was tossed in. Here I was sitting in an Irish pub in Bangkok Thailand drinking German beer and smoking Nepalese cigarettes while watching American football. What a worldly experience!

After a few rounds of whiskey and beer I was craving some sort of fourth meal snack. For those of you not familiar with "fourth meal" I will explain. Fourth meal is the meal between dinner and breakfast. It is typically eaten between one and four am to cure drunkenness and/or future hangovers. 24 hour taco shops specialize in fourth meal and cater to the after hour hunger pangs of inebriated individuals who just have to have a taco.

I was one of those inebriated individuals and I wanted food. Unfortunately there is a shortage of taco shops in Bangkok so we searched for any edibles we could find. After walking for way too long, we finally stumbled upon a McDonald's where I proceeded to stoop way below my normal standard of eating.
It was interesting, as it always is, to scrutinize the foreign menu.
Along with the typical cheeseburger and chicken nuggets they offered a "Samurai Pork Burger", KFC style fried chicken and a tuna pie hot pocket.
I played it safe and got a grilled chicken sandwich which consequently made my stomach turn as soon as it passed through my esophagus. I fell asleep regretting my McDonald's field trip, as I assumed I would.

From Executive Producer Andy Streitfeld and AMS Pictures, comes Ma's Roadhouse a new reality show on TrueTV!
Rick Fairless is the owner of Strokers Dallas, a Texas motorcycle shop, tattoo parlor and biker bar. His greatest asset is his 71-year-old mother, who's also his best, but most outspoken, employee. Can Rick keep his business afloat? And can Ma keep her hands off the bartender?


I wish I could be there to watch it with all the hardworking people at AMS :( but at least, by then, I will be back in the states and watching intently from my TV at home :) You guys rock!

Posted by emichele 04:19 Archived in Thailand Comments (2)

(Entries 9 - 16 of 74) « Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »